Who is an 'Angel Investor'?
Angel investors invest in small startups or entrepreneurs. Often, angel investors are among an entrepreneur’s family and friends. The capital angel investors provide may be a one-time investment to help the business propel or an ongoing injection of money to support and carry the company through its difficult early stages
Angel investors are wealthy individuals who invest in small companies, hoping that one of them becomes the next Google or Facebook. An angel investor (also known as a business angel, informal investor, angel funder, private investor, or seed investor) is an affluent individual who provides capital for a business start-up, usually in exchange for convertible debt or ownership equity. Angel investment is the primary source of outside equity financing and support for start-ups
All of these options work in the same basic way—you receive cash from an investor, and in return you give that investor an equity (ownership) stake in your business
Origins of Angel Investors
The term “angel” came from the Broadway Theater, when wealthy individuals gave money to propel theatrical productions. The term “angel investor” was first used by the University of New Hampshire’s William Wetzel, founder of the Center for Venture Research. Wetzel completed a study on how entrepreneurs gathered capital.
Want to Join?
Kakatiya Angels invites applications from members who can bring their skills, networks, capital and mentorship to benefit the young entrepreneurs in countless ways.
People join Kakatiya Angels for many reasons. They may include:
- A determination to ensure that worthy companies receive the funding they need and have the opportunity to succeed
- An interest in participating in this investment sector
- An opportunity to utilize the extensive skills and interests developed in your professional and personal lives
- An opportunity to follow and study emerging trends in many industries
- An interest in working directly with early-stage entrepreneurs as domain experts and advisors.
The benefits of membership of Kakatiya Angels includes:
- Access to emerging companies across many sectors
- The opportunity to work with other senior members on due diligence teams for proposal evaluation
- Monthly meetings at which various companies present their business plans
- All members of Kakatiya Angels are expected to be serious investors, including:
- Participating in due diligence teams
- Meeting annual investment requirements
- Participating in any trainings offered from time to time
- Adhering to the Code of Conduct
Prospective members are often invited to attend a meeting of the Kakatiya Angels as guests before joining. Observing a meeting is a great opportunity to learn about the angel group and our investment process. If you are interested in attending a meeting and/or applying for membership, please email us your profile firstname.lastname@example.org